This post is also available in: Español
What differentiates sancocho valluno from other Colombian sancochos?
The sancocho is a very traditional and popular dish that we can find in Colombia; it prepared in almost every corner and places of our country. It is one of the most desirable, even by ourselves. You can make sancocho fish, beef, chicken, pork, but the sancocho valluno has its particular stamp, and in this dish, its traditional meat is a hen.
It is for this reason that it is known as sancocho valluno or sancocho de gallina, which originates in the Cauca Valley region, and has become famous throughout the country.
I know this recipe quite well because my grandmother is from that area of the country, and for that reason, I see the recipe. Since I know her, I know that the favorite menu every Saturday is a tasty sancocho valluno, and very rarely changes this recipe for another.
What ingredients cannot be missing?
Undoubtedly, the sancocho is composed of crucial ingredients that characterize this dish, and that, of course, should not be missing, such as potatoes, cassava, and plantains, in this case, accompanied by the chicken.
Already depending on tastes, you add some good cobs, cilantro, arracacha, and other ingredients that make this sancocho a beautiful and delicious dish.
It is something we cannot miss and crave that we must remove, so I hope you will be encouraged to prepare this delicious walnut stew and tell us how it went. Let’s cook.
How to make Sancocho Valluno? – Ingredients
Sancocho VallunoPrint Pin Comentar
- 3 chicken pieces.
- 1 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups of water
- 1 corn on the cob cut into three pieces.
- 2 green plantains peeled and cut into pieces.
- 1 cassava peeled and cut into pieces.
- 1 onion
- 2 scallions
- 3 potatoes peeled and cut into pieces.
- 1 to mato
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper.
- In a skillet with a little oil, sauté the chopped onions, diced tomatoes, and finely chopped garlic, add cumin, pepper and let sauté for a few minutes.
- In a large pot, place the 5 cups of water and add the chicken pieces, add the previous preparation, and let it simmer until the chicken pieces are almost soft, about 45 minutes.
- Add the plantains, the corn on the cob, the cassava, and boil for 10 or 15 more minutes. Then add the potato and let it cook until everything is soft. Pepper and rectify the flavor.
- Add the finely chopped coriander and serve immediately.